Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Earth Defense Force Insect Armageddon

Rating: Not so good.

Description:
  It started as soon as I loaded the game - the mouse movement in the menu is incredibly jerky and laggy which signaled to me right away I probably wouldn't like the game.  I decided to give it a chance, however, so I navigated to the Video Options menu first (like we all do), where the first thing I noticed is that the only AA option seems to be a type of post-processing (like FXAA, for example).

The Anti-Aliasing options:
 - only give you a checkbox for On/Off
 - doesn't give you a description of the AA type
 - doesn't let you select "real" antialiasing like MSAA

After finally getting into the game (with the Fake-AA disabled since I don't particularly enjoy blurred textures), I noticed the environment.  It was not very detailed by today's standards, especially the lighting - it looks incredibly flat and boring.

Now for the absolute deal-breaker: ALL of the previous problems I've mentioned could have been glossed over if not for this little gem - THE GAME IS CAPPED AT THIRTY FRAMES PER SECOND!

"Thirty?" you ask... "seriously?"

YES, THIRTY.

My overclocked GTX570 was being heavily used at .... 20% load.
What a waste.  What a waste of GPU power.  What a waste of display power (120hz monitor).  What a waste of a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment